Bell County District Court Judge
Robert V. Costanzo
P.O. Box 2176
Pineville, KY 40977
District Court handles adult traffic and criminal cases, as well as civil and small claims matters. The General District Court has jurisdiction over:
- Civil lawsuits in which the amount in question does not exceed $15,000.
- Small Claims cases, where parties represent themselves and the amount of the suit does not exceed $5,000.
- Landlord/Tenant disputes, such as over rent and possession, filed in the Civil Division.
- Preliminary hearings in felony cases to determine if there is sufficient evidence to send the case to Circuit Court.
- Cases in which an adult is charged with a traffic infraction punishable by a fine only.
- Cases in which an adult is charged with such traffic related misdemeanors as DWI and reckless driving.
- Juveniles (any person under 18) accused of traffic violations.
- Children in need of supervision (truants, runaways).
- Children who have been subjected to abuse or neglect.
- Spousal abuse.
- Adults accused of child abuse or neglect, or of offenses against members of their own family or household members (juvenile or adult).
- Adults involved in disputes concerning the visitation, support or custody of a child, abandonment of children, foster care and entrustment agreements.
- Probation and Residential Services.
- Court-ordered rehabilitation services, and court consent for certain medical treatments.